My husband and I currently live in New Orleans, where neighbors and friends live and breath Saint's football. I was asked to make a black and gold DIY project for a FOX 8 Live Segment. Follow the instructions below to make your own fleur de lis door hanger.
What you will need:
- Plaster of Paris
- Box cutter
- Cardboard/foam core
- Packaging tape
1. Use a box cutter to cut out a fleur de lis shape from a card board box.
2. Ball up newspaper and tape it to the card board cut-out (you can ball up as much newspaper as you like, depending on how much of a relief you want)
3. Use packaging tape to cover the whole piece, do not leave spaces in between tape.
4. Mix SMALL BATCHES of Plaster of Paris and cover taped surface. This may take a few layers.
5. Drill a hole in the back of the door hanger so that it can be mounted to a wall or door.
6. Paint desired color.
7. Use spray polyurethane if the piece is to be used outdoors
You can also hot glue Mardi Gras beads to your door hanger. The fluer de lis below hangs in our living room, it's a fun Mardi Gras reminder.