Friday, June 27, 2014

DIY Gallery Wall Tips


Putting together a gallery wall can be intimidating, check out the helpful tips below for some simple tips:

Tip 1: Make it Personal

I believe that a home is not a home without photos of the people who live there. I find it depressing when I visit someones family room and it reminds me of an impersonal hotel room. A photo wall is the perfect way to bring warmth and personality to a room.

Tip 2: Decide on a Style

I like the clean look of all white frames. I have a lot of white in my house, especially on hard-to-destroy surfaces like side tables, consoles and frames. But you don't have to limit your choice to white! I posted pictures of some great photo wall ideas on a previous blog post. Click on this LINK to check them out.

Tip 3: Plan ahead

Before going out and buying a ton of frames, make a plan. I did some research on frames and found that IKEA had exactly what I was looking for. I looked at the available dimensions and cut out some miniature paper frames to scale. That way I could play around with different arrangements and decide on a tall gallery wall for our space. 

Tip 4: Height

We have 8 foot ceilings in our living room. A trick that I have learned is to hang mirrors and artwork high on your wall. This fools the eye into looking upward, making your ceilings appear higher. 


Tip 5: Measure!

It seems obvious to measure, but I REALLY prefer to guesstimate. I usually get away with measuring by eye, BUT it's a lot easier to measure twice and nail once, that way you won't have to patch a dozen holes. 



Hope these tips help you hang the perfect gallery wall!



No comments:

Post a Comment