Tuesday, February 11, 2014

DIY Deco Mesh Garland


Deco mesh is easy to work with, light weight and water proof. Deco mesh garlands are perfect for railings, around doors and along fireplace mantles. Follow the instructions below to make your own garland:

What you will need:

  • 2 large rolls of 10 yd Deco Mesh (I used Mardi Gras colors for this garland)
  • 1 Small roll of 10 yd Deco Mesh
  • Wire
  • Pipe cleaners 
  • Scissors 


Join tables together so that you have a long work surface.

Unwind the wire and secure it on either side of the work surface. This makes the garland much easier to create. I secured the wire to a door handle and a chair.  

Use pipe cleaners that match the deco mesh in your garland. Cut the pipe cleaners in half.

Attach the pipe cleaners to the wire leaving a space of 12" between each pipe cleaner. 


Bunch and gather the deco mesh and twist the pipe cleaners to keep the mesh in place. Make sure you use the same amount of deco mesh for each bunch.

Continue forming puffs without cutting the deco mesh. 

Once you are done with the first color, you can start on the second.

Use the same process to create the second line of puffs. 



Now you can use the smaller size deco mesh to add a third layer.

Deco mesh will keep its shape if you secure it well.

Happy Mardi Gras!

6 comments:

  1. What kind of wire did you buy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making one for a valance for a friend of mine and I'm using floral wire and I just triple the wire and twist it together to secure the strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you get an answer as to what kind of wire? I also am curious of that and what weight of wire. Where to buy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did mine with no wire form. I just laid out my mesh and crunched it about 6 to 8 inches apart. It’s a little harder without the form to work with but it’s doable. I haven’t ate three like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should be I’ve made 3!

      Delete